Monday, February 12, 2007

Della's Journal - Week 7 (February 12-18, 1929)

This is Installment 7 of the Journal of Della (Smith) Carringer, my great-grandmother, who resided at 2115 30th Street in San Diego in 1929.

The "players" and "setting" are described here. Pictures of some of the players are here. Last week's Journal entry is here.

======================================

Tuesday, February 12th, warmer: Lincoln's birthday. Ed came over, cut weeds & lawn. Mr & Mrs. Scott came & visited with Ed for a while. Mrs. Watson Paid rent.

Wednesday, February 13th: Ma & I worked outside.

Thursday, February 14th: Valentine day. Emily gave us homemade candy & Betty a valentine & big stick of candy. Miss Thoren Pd rent. Mr. VB washed cealings of kitchens of 2119 30th & ours. Lilly Barton Franklin son George & Lillie's youngest girl from San F[rancisco] called on us. I took cold in my throat, was hoarse.

Friday, February 15th: I went with Lyle's [family] to hear the Desert Song at the Spreckles Theatre. Tickets $1.50. Betty enjoyed it very much & we all did. A[ustin] got pay.

Saturday, February 16th, pleasant: Ed over, he cut rest of weeds & tree & Oleander. Gave him check $6.00. After A[ustin] came home I went to Library got me a card & three books.

Sunday, February 17th, pleasant: Lyle's [family] went to country. I went out & visited Mrs. Garlock in afternoon & Mr. Garlock's sister Ida from Iowa. She will stay a few weeks then go north to Palo Alto to see Agness Garlock. Elwood has 3 boys, Abby 3 boys & 2 girls, Carrol the little girl we knew is married.

Monday, February 18th, rained: Ma & I worked inside. Left clothes in clear water.

==================================

There are more mystery people in this week's installment. My guess is that Lilly Barton Franklin and the Garlock's are either cousins or former neighbors. I'll try to figure it out.

1 comment:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

It's interesting to see how they celebrated Valentine's Day; no mention of Della and Austin exchanging cards or gifts.