Tuesday, February 20, 2007

John Tyler's Grandson is still alive!

I was reading a political news blog and they claimed that Harrison Tyler, a grandson of John Tyler (our 10th President, born in 1790) is still alive, and living in the house that President Tyler built in 1842.

They provided the web site http://www.sherwoodforest.org/ which describes the Natiomal Historic Home. There is a link for Genealogy, which gets you to http://www.sherwoodforest.org/Genealogy.html and there the descendants of John Tyler are listed.

1) John Tyler (1790-1862) married (1) Letitia Christian (1790-1842) and had 8 children; he married (2) Julia Gardiner (1820-1889) in the 1840's, and fathered 7 more children, including:

2) Lyon Gardiner Tyler (1853-1935) married (1) Anne Baker Tucker (1857-1921) and had three children; he married (2) Sue Ruffin (1889-1953) and had 3 children, including:

3) Harrison Ruffin Tyler (1928-living)

A grandson was born 138 years after John Tyler was born in 1790. President Tyler and his son Lyon Tyler married second wives much younger than they were and had a second family. They both fathered children at about age 70. Isn't that amazing?

UPDATE: A picture of Harrison Tyler is at http://www.fortpocahontas.org/Besch.html. This page also includes a detailed description of Fort Pocahontas and battles nvolving the United States Colored Troops during the Civil War.

12 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

This is amazing! My 16-year-old daughter, who loves history, just jotted down notes about your post to share with her history teacher tomorrow at school. :)

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

William M. Deegan, ATA Executive Director said...

Amazing! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

va47nD The best blog you have!

Heather said...

I am looking for my heritage of the Tyler family. My grandmother was born Ruth Tyler in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, October 6, 1898. Died early 1980's. Resident of New York since early 1930's. I located her name listed on the 1930 census. Married to Ralph Titus. My mother was Edith Titus and My great aunt was Elizabeth (Agnus) Tyler. I was told we are descendents of President John Tyler. Any information is very helpful. Thank you.

Charlene Maikantis said...

Hey everybody I am a descendent of Bozwal Tyler, John's brother.. Would like to chat with any other relatives that are out there.

Unknown said...

I was also told gowning up that we were decedent from john Tyler
my father was john Christopher Tyler his father was john Henry Tyler and his father was john Tyler from Tennessee i believe his father was also a john Tyler. my great grandmother's name was radie she lived until 1988? and was from bedford Tennessee

Pamela said...

I have met Mr. Tyler four times, including once when he gave my Civil War tour group a tour of Sherwood Forest. He is one of the most fascinating men I have ever met. His family history includes most of the First Families of Virginia.

Unknown said...

Pamela which Mr. Tyler are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

anybody know of any George Tyler decedents? I think my great great grandfather George Clayton Tyler was killed in WWII

Steve said...

I think everyone is related to John Tyler. More than Kevin Bacon!!

James Alexander Knighton said...

One of the most amazing things about this if you look up pictures of them both, you can see that they share similar facial features with John Tyler, according to the paintings of him. The ears in particular are very similar between them all.