Monday, July 9, 2007

Della's Journal - Week 28 (July 9-15, 1929)

This is Installment 28 of the Journal of Della (Smith) Carringer, my great-grandmother, who resided at 2115 30th Street in San Diego in 1929.

The "players" and "setting" are described here. Pictures of some of the players are here. Last week's Journal entry is here.

Here is Week 27:
-------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 9 (warm): We fixed quilt for Ma's house, I stitched edge & border. Fixed a little on my dress.

Wednesday, July 10: Rose called in afternoon, had her feet treated by a woman. Lyle's to entertain Emily's friend from Kentucky, Mary Emily her mother & father & Mrs. Gregg & husband.

Thursday, July 11: Mr. Watson's moved out. Lyle took her out to their new house & Ma & Betty rode out too. Mrs. Auble took down curtains to wash. Ma & Mrs. Pentecost cleaned walls. Ma cleaned sink & tubs. I sew on my dress. Lyle starts vacation.

Friday, July 12: I cleaned on floors. Mrs. Auble ironed curtains & mended. Ma cleaned rugs. Lyle's went to see boat come in. Emily worked.

Saturday, July 13 (warm): I cleaned in kitchen & bedroom, Ma in bathroom. Ed did not come over. A[ustin] took last foot treatment & took check for Bal[ance] $17.50. Letter from Mary Dyar & Aunt Libbie yesterday. Emily worked all week.

Sunday, July 14 (warm): Lyle's went La Playa, put up tent, went in bathing. Austin put on chair rail in breakfast nook [at] 2116 Fern, & fixed window & screen that would not work. Watered Fig tree.

Monday, July 15 (hot): I finished my dress hem. Ma worked outside, made curtain. Emily did not work. Mrs. Auble to have her hair waved, Bessie present to her, looks nice.

---------------------------------------

This was a week of all work and no play, it seems.

I have a picture of Emily and her cousin Mary Emily from Kentucky from their childhood - I've never known who Mary Emily was. I still don't know, I wish she had listed Mary Emily's surname or the names of her parents. I have no clue who the Gregg's are - perhaps friends of Mary Emily's family. Mary Dyar is a cousin from Della's side of the family.

No comments: