Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Della's Journal - Week 33 (August 13-19, 1929)

This is Installment 33 of the Journal of Della (Smith) Carringer, my great-grandmother, who resided at 2115 30th Street in San Diego in 1929.

The "players" and "setting" are described here. Pictures of some of the players are here. Last week's Journal entry is here.

Here is Week 33:

====================================

Tuesday, August 13 (warmer): Mrs. Auble, Bessie, Vernon & Betty went to see the dog races, they enjoyed seeing them. I telephoned to Mrs. Westland to get me some of the Sim Prey face brick 36 c[ents] each, got 3. Several have looked at the house on Fern. Betty helped me clean & varnish Laundry room.

Wednesday, August 14 (warmer): Miss Thoren Paid Rent. She stayed here while I worked upstairs, painted laundry tray lids and window sills. Letter from Aunt Libbie. Myrtle & Ben home, had a nice trip but Myrtle's stomach got out of order. Ma has not called up or come home. A[ustin]'s feet bother some but are doing better.

Thursday, August 15 (warm): A[ustin] got pay. Vernon & friend Lee Pray went to Agua Caliente to play golf. Tonight the folks went to a show. Ma out to her house. I painted laundry lids another coat. Watered fig tree. Mr. Gould did not go ["started for Denver" crossed out]. Col. does not know how long he will stay. I sent $1.00 for renewal of magazines, Good Stories and Woman's World, Household & 2 others, sent it yesterday.

Friday, August 16 (warm): I went out to Ma's while the folks went into the country to get a box of oranges sent E[ast] for Mr. Pentecost's birthday. Miss Thoren stayed here for me.

Saturday, August 17 (warm): We went out & got Ma. Miss Thoren went with Vernon, Betty & I. Vernon helped me fix a few things then I varnished some congoleum rugs. One man to look at 2116 Fern. Ed did not come over. Folks went to Mission Beach had supper on the sand & went in surf bathing. 105 airplanes up at one time over at Rockwell Field, Navy planes.

Sunday, August 18 (warm): American Legion 11th annual convention. Folks getting ready to go away, are going this afternoon on boat in bay to see the log Raft brought in. American Legion some coming by Blimp. Went in evening to Roseville, saw raft go by.

Monday, August 19 (warm): Emily's 30th Birthday. We gave her glass fish globe & $5. Ma bottle of Almond oil. Mrs. A. & Betty Bath salts. Lyle fish globe & base to stand on, an old man fishing. Gladys a black oil cloth cushion made like a turtle. Bessie some money. Bessie & Vernon started home today at 9 A.M. She gave me $10 to get myself something. I went to town and deposited $110. Got some things for 2116 Fern $4.10, double cooker 95c, dishpan 95c, kettle 95c, tray 75c & sauce pan 30c, paring knife 15c & can opener 5c. Letter from Ed, he had been sick all the week. I saw parade (40 bands) took almost 1-1/2 hours to pass. Was very good, some very pretty costumes. Ma washed, put up 2 Pla?? 1 qt peaches.

=========================

This was a pretty busy week for Della. Emily had her 30th birthday and received a lot of gifts. It's hard to think of Emily as a young woman - I only knew her as my loving grandmother. I think of Della as an older woman, since most of the pictures of her are from the 1920's and 1930's, and that's how my mother remembered her. Funny how the mind works, eh?

No comments: