Sunday, October 28, 2007

Best of the Genea-Blogs - Week of October 21-27

Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week. My criteria are pretty simple - I like posts that advance knowledge about genealogy, or are funny and/or poignant. I don't list posts destined for the Carnival of Genealogy, or my own posts (hopefully, others will do that!).

* "More Genealogy Law: Invasion of Privacy" and "Genealogy Law Quiz Answers" by Craig Manson on his Geneablogie blog. Craig provides very useful information for bloggers and researchers. I'm still trying to figure out if I can put Della's Journal online week by week.

* "Locating Alternate Sources, or HOW to find WHICH records should be searched in an ancestor’s DISTANT LOCALITY" by Pat Richley on the DearMYRTLE blog. This is an excellent discussion and advice about doing exhaustive searches for genealogy data.

* "10 DNA Myths Busted" by Blaine Bettinger on his Genetic Genealogist blog. This post discusses common misperceptions, and sets the reader straight, about DNA testing. This sets us up for the next Carnival of Genealogy to be hosted by Blaine.

* "What's Next for Ancestry.com?" by Kimberly Powell on the About.com:Genealogy blog. This is an interview with Tim Sullivan, the President and CEO of The Generations Network. The best real genealogy interview of the week.

* "A Genealogue Interview" by Chris Dunham on his The Genealogue blog. This is the best unreal genealogy interview of the week. Read the comments too.

* "Was Grandma Stepping Out, Or What?" by Lee Anders on her The I Seek Dead People blog. Welcome back, Lee, I hope you write more about your ancestors. Hmm, maybe I violated my rule about Carnival posts. It's OK.

* "Why Review Old Genealogy Research" by Lorine McGinnis Schulze on the Olive Tree Genealogy blog. Lorine discusses reviewing the research that you did long ago - wise words, indeed!

* "Using DabbleDB to Keep Track of Sources" by Taneya on her Taneya's Genealogy Blog. She describes an online system to keep track of resources - what a great system! And a wonderful post, and an idea that I need to implement!

* "Genealogy is for the Living" by whoever writes The G Files blog. This is touching with good advice, and very true.

* "Are You Prepared? I'm Not" by Becky Wiseman on her Kinexxions blog. Becky was wise observations about preparing for disasters before they strike. I'm not ready either, it turned out after our fire disaster here this week.

* "Using Deeds in Genealogy Research" by Brenda Joyce Jerome on the Western Kentucky Genealogy blog. This is wonderful advice from a voice with experience.

That's it for this week. If I missed some really good posts, please tell me about them!

No comments: