Monday, November 19, 2007

Della's Journal - Week 47 (November 19-25, 1929)

This is Installment 47 of the Journal of Della (Smith) Carringer (1862-1944), my great-grandmother, who resided at 2115 30th Street in San Diego in 1929.

The "players" and "setting" are described here. Pictures of some of the players are here. Last week's Journal entry is here.

Here is Week 47 -

====================================

Tuesday, November 19: We washed & I ironed. Ma pumped some water on Fig tree.

Wednesday, November 20 (warm): Fred & Jessie came, stayed to lunch, brought us some butter & buttermilk. I went to town, Pd on lots 10, 11, 12 1st Inst[allment] on Co[unty] tax $49.44, Ma's 1st Inst[allment] on Co[unty] tax $17.51, Check SDT&S Bank $66.95. Changed my old savings box to new one in Bank of Italy. Pd. for change on Telephone Bill to the 11th of month 67 c[ents]. Asthama Powder 65c, Snuff 10c, Nets 25c, thread 25c, lastick 25c, combs for hair 45c, Store Items $1.20. Pd A[ustin]'s W.O.W. lodge dues for Dec[ember]

Thursday, November 21 (foggy nights, cooler): I worked in yard, transplanted some ferns. Mrs. Wilson gave me the keys to the Flat 2116 Fern and I started to clean, put Flit over everything. Betty came over here from school as her Mother & Mrs. A[uble] were at a Birthday party.

Friday, November 22 (pleasant): Ma & I worked all day cleaning flat. Ma wrote Mary Dyar. Thompson's rent their upper N flat, has been empty so long. Emily worked 1/2 day.

Saturday, November 23 (pleasant): Ed over, did not cut lawn. I rented Piano. Ed & I took off doors in hall then the men took it out the Sun room, after they got it on their truck found they could not get it up stairs at Thompson's Flat so had to bring it back in again. The lady was so disappointed, will have to get one downtown. Vivian came to stay all night.

Sunday, November 24 (cool night & morning): Lyle's worked @ home & took ride in afternoon. Vivian & Betty visited and I helped get Ma ready, Earnest Kimball came after her to spend the day with them.

Monday, November 25 (pleasant): Emily worked. I worked in forenoon & showed the Flat in afternoon, the lady brought her husband and they took it. Pd $9 down rent to commence on the 1st, she has her own bedding & linnen, some dishes & kitchen ware, $40. The man used to work in Marston's is a window decorator, Mr. Paden. I went to town, Pd gas & water bills. We have lost only one week rent, but Mrs. Wilson moved so I had two days to clean.

==========================

I've wondered all year what lodge that Austin Carringer was a member of - the W.O.W. - Woodmen Of the World. I think that Della was also a member.

It very clearly says "Flit" in the journal - sounds like some sort of cleanser. This page says it is an insecticide. Makes sense!

Earnest Kimball is a new name in the Journal - he's probably a long time family friend - the Kimball's were the big honchos in National City in the 1870 to 1900 time frame. I don't think that they were related, but Austin Carringer's parents are buried in La Vista Cemetery in National City in the same area as the Kimball town fathers.

Next week is Thanksgiving. It will be interesting to see how they celebrate it.

No comments: