Monday, December 3, 2007

Della's Journal - Week 49 (December 3-9, 1929)

This is Installment 49 of the Journal of Della (Smith) Carringer (1862-1944), my great-grandmother, who resided at 2115 30th Street in San Diego in 1929.

The "players" and "setting" are described here. Pictures of some of the players are here. Last week's Journal entry is here.

Here is Week 49 -

====================================

Tuesday, December 3: In afternoon, Betty & I went down town and came home with Lyle & Emily. Got Money Order $4.50 for Unity.

Wednesday, December 4: I went downtown, put $120 in Bay City Bldg & Loan. Got Ma new red dress.

Thursday, December 5: Sent letter to Unity with $4.50 for my Unity renewal and Wee Wisdom for Betty & Hazel.

Friday, December 6 (lovely): Ma & I went with Etta & Frank to Alpine, spent the day, had a lovely time. The forest fire burned over a large area. The creek is dry. The fire ran along to the Garage. I do not see how they saved the town. Joe Muthors house he used to own did not burn but all the orchard did. I called on Mrs. Tubs & daughter, & Mr & Mrs Flegal. He has made cement block (hollow) for a double garage. They make their grape juice every year.

Saturday, December 7: Ed over, cut lawn & I painted front stairs & landing to 2116 Fern St Flat. Ma called on Mrs. Matajka, she has come home for a while. Irene is home from the East. Mrs. Thompson told me his sister went east last Fri[day]. Betty made signs for me, they were nice. I gave her 25 c[ents] for them as I can keep them to use again. Emily is working all the time.

Sunday, December 8 (cloudy): I made fruit cake, cooked Pork roast. Lyle took pictures of our Poinsettias, Betty & kitty in picture. A[ustin] finished Iron gating. The flats acrost the street is being fixed over, commenced to take off stucko Fri. the 6th.

Monday, December 9: We took baths & washed. Paper says we may have rain in 24 hrs, have had only one sprinkle since July. Letter from Mrs. Schmidt. The people are moving in & have taken the desk over to her house so to have room for Radio, their name is Tompson.

================================

Going out to Alpine was a big deal in 1929 - about 30 miles from their home, but two lane road all the way. I'm guessing they drove through Dehesa into southern Alpine rather than down Viejas grade into northern Alpine. It would be an easier ride. The forest fire came into Alpine, apparently. I have no idea who Joe Muthors, Mr. and Mrs. Flegal or Mrs. Tubs are - probably family friends.

I was puzzled as to what Unity and Wee Wisdom were - probably subscription magazines.

I was happy to see more than one sentence for some of these days - they are all on loose paper.

No comments: