Sunday, May 4, 2008

Best oif the Genea-Blogs - April 27-May 3, 2008

Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week.

My criteria are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the Carnival of Genealogy, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.

* "Do You Have Taphophilia?" by Lori Thornton on the Smoky Mountain Family Historian blog. Lori defines the term and admits her love for ... well, read her post.

* "Becoming a Top 1000 Web Property" by Paul Allen on the Paul Allen (the lesser) blog. Paul always provides interesting and challenging insights on creating and developing companies.

* "Decline of Letter Writing" by John Newmark on the Transylvanian Dutch blog. John's comments are, I think, exactly right about letter writing, email and telephone use. Of course, that is exactly why some of us blog - so that there is some sort of permanent record of our musings.

* "The Ancestry Insider Unveiled" by the AI on the Ancestry Insider blog. The AI shows us a Simpsonized likeness of himself (hmmm, male, hair, eyebrows, teeth, we've narrowed it down some) and comments on the Ancestry World Archives Project (I missed this last week, but it was the only guess that anyone made).

* "Lessons Learned from a Genetic Genealogist Quiz" by Blaine Bettinger on The Genetic Genealogist blog. Blaine sets us straight on the answers to his quiz. I got 700 on it - missing two questions that Blaine discusses in this post.

* "Royal Me and Thee" by Tim Abbott on the Walking the Berkshires blog. Tim has an interesting take DNA results and the royal European bloodlines. He had me with the Lady Godiva poster!

* "Grandma's Apron" by Ole Bob on Bob and Reb's Genealogy blog. This post gives us some idea about why the women in times before yesterday wore aprons and how they used them.

* "Think it's a man's world? Think again" by Larry Lehmer on the Passing It On blog. Larry analyzes an interesting article about low sperm counts and notes that males may be obsolete in about 125,000 years. Whew...I made it, I guess!

* "Friday from the Collectors - May 2: Oscar Wilde, Sonny Bono and the Naked Orphans" by Craig Manson writing on footnoteMaven's Shades of the Departed blog. Craig takes us through copyright and ownership of old photographs. This is one of the most unique blog postings ever too!

I encourage you to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blog to your Favorites, Bloglines, reader, feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - we all appreciate feedback on what we write.

Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me!

No comments: